Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hardware Schematics

Hi !

I really like this project! So far, i just found the software packages, where do i get the schematics for the arduino part of the project ?

cheers,
julian

Comments

• Now that the ball is rolling, I'll be focusing on the schematics and organizing the Arduino code a bit better in the next week or so.
  • You can see the pins definition in arduino schetch.
  • Hi! I found the pin definitions, but i am interested in how the TDS meter which provides an analog voltate to the arduino adc is built.
  • I haven't forgot about you, I will find the link for the TDS meter I am going to use.
  • Sorry I took so long - the TDS meter I was looking at can be found here:

http://webpages.charter.net/tdsmeter/products.html
  • A full parts list would be great!. I have had a look at the grow logger code and can see relays tds and ph etc. Are the tds and ph measured using the same probe?. The relays bit really interests me as well. I have an idea in mind to modify this ( http://maxigrow.com/maxiswitch-pro-control-units/) piece of kit to incorporate control of individual sockets so they can be run from the shared timer or over ridden do you think this is practice to do ? Cheers Drewww. :-)
  • i would also be interested in the hardware part of the project...
  • I am doing some testing with hardware and will release the schematics as soon as its finalized.
  • I thought i show a part of my game stuff (hardware) for inspiration ;)
    (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/692/hardwareqp.jpg/)
  • Hi,

Where can i found the list of all material ? this project is really interesting and i want to create mine :D

++
  • edited March 2013
    This is a list I had made before; I took out the touchscreen, but I might add it back in later on.

Parts List:
    1x MEGA 2560 (eBay)
    1x Raspberry Pi ($35 @ element14)
    1x DS1307 RTC
    1x Edimax EW-7811Un Wireless Adapter
    (smallest wireless b/g/n adapter compatible with the raspberry pi)
    1x DHT-11 Humidity Sensor (eBay)
    1x LM35 Temperature Sensor (eBay)
    1x Light Dependent Resistor (eBay)
    2x Phidgets 1130_0 - pH/ORP Adapter (robotshop.ca)
    2x cheap BNC pH probe (electrode) (eBay)
    1x RSSDN-25A Solid State Relay (w/ zero-crossing) (eBay)
    1x 4-Channel Relay Board for Arduino (eBay)
    3x Dual 120V outlets
    1x USB Wall Wart (or a 5V powersupply)
    1x DIN Rail
    8x Terminal Block Connectors (to mount to DIN Rail)
    1x 120V Electrical Wire - amperage rating based on what you will be powering
    1x Machine Screws
    2x 2-Row Headers (eg. 16x2) (eBay)
    1x Prototyping Soldering Board (eBay)
    1x 4-port ethernet port (eBay)
    1x EAC 309 Power Jack
    1x Project Case
    1x Rocker Switch
    1x Panel Mount Ethernet Jack
    4x Ethernet Surface Mount Box (for sensor box's)
    2x Spare USB Cable
    1x Hook-up Wire (different colors)
    10x 10Kohm resistors
  • That's a lot of stuff. I'm wondering how it all connects. For example, how does the Arduino communicate? Does it have an Ethernet shield?

I think it would also help to clarify the diagram on the home page. You have software items shown separately from the devices where they exist. Makes it confusing.

I know how it is. Once you build something, it's hard to see how it could be confusing to the uninitiated. I need to document my own stuff before I forget how I put it together, and sometimes it's still hard to figure out later.
  • Hi AdvancedNewbie, Thanks for putting up that parts list. I have a couple of questions.
    the rtc chip thats the ds1307 right? Also the power jack EAC309 do you mean these http://uk.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Switchcraft/EAC-309/?qs=BXIAZVTcIUPPMgDx7x1YtA==

With all these relays kicking in particularly the lights. is the within this design something along the lines of a power control unit to stop the relays etc. burning out?. Please for give me if this is already considered. Example link= http://www.greenpowercontactors.co.uk/how-it-works.asp. most grow use these to stop timers etc. burning out.

and as richardU said how is comms handled with sending logging data ?Ethernet. Again sorry if I am missing something and being thick LOL.

Thanks again keep up the good effort.
  • Hi how about incorporating something like these temp sensors for measuring the water tank temp https://dx.com/p/screw-type-probe-temperature-sensing-cable-2m-cable-126814
  • Yes, the list was supposed to read "DS1307". And those look like the right power "AC Power Entry Modules". The picture you have posted for those timers is how the relays are working for this project, but instead of the mechanical timer feeding the coil in the relay, it's the micro-controller controlling the relay.

The Raspberry Pi controls the network communication. You can plug an ethernet cable directly into the Raspberry Pi or use the Edimax EW-7811Un Wireless Adapter as per the parts list above. The Arduino Mega communicates with the Raspberry Pi through the Pi's Input/Output header using UART (serial communications). The Arduino uses pins RX1 and TX1. The Raspberry Pi, however, uses 3.3v for it's logic (a binary 0 = 0V and a 1 = 3.3V) while the Arduino uses a 5v logic (ie. 0 = 0V and a 1 = 5V). Therefore you need to use a logic converter to convert any 5V signals being sent from the Arduino to the Raspberry Pi from 5V to 3.3V, as to not 'cook' your Pi. ;)

As for the reservoir temps, I had thought of this but never incorporated it yet. Adafruit has a good tutorial for using thermistors and you can get an epoxy one pretty cheap. The one you linked looks pretty good, no much for a description though...
  • Forgot to mention, the water temp is good to add in as a factor in determining pH, also in TDS.
  • And temperature of water is also important because if you have a difference too excessive between air and water plant's root can burn...

Also an question, can we easily program condition for the relay ? if RH is low or CO2 activate a relay and activate co2 pump or humidifier ? i think so with python, but i am noob in arduino code.
  • edited March 2013
    One of those logic converters will work just fine. I've split up the Arduino code so it will be very easy to write your own code for the setpoints/relays. This will have to be done for the Arduino code because it is what does the 'thinking'. I will post the code after I add a few more things.
  • would it be possible for someone to post examples of some of the items on the list?  I am one of the uninitiated...  For example din rails and modules or the 4-port ethernet port.  I apologize if these are silly questions.  I have the will, but sometimes the way gets in the way... 
  • Hardware Schematics would be realy nice
  • edited May 2013
    This is my first Schematic. No warranty and use at your own risk.

/edit
    here is a link to download the schematic.
  • edited April 2013
    Looks good to me...  Emphasis on the 3V3 connection on the Raspberry Pi to the Logic Converter.

Thanks for this, btw.
  • Bravo! Now does anyone feel like doing the schematics for the relays by any chance?  For the amateurs like me?
  • Hi,

I'm in the process of making my own grow-controller using a combination of raspberry pi and arduino, but with the arduino only as a sensor device, the raspberry will be switching the relays etc.

Anyway, I made a schematic a little while ago for optically isolated relays and contactors controlled with 2 x 595 shift registers. I would not switch mains 230V without optically isolating my MCU, but that is your choice.
    I'm going to have 8 x contactors for switching high power loads like HID etc, and 8 smaller relays for running pumps and "not so heavy current" items.
    It is the first schematic I have made except for some doodling on paper, so don't expect it to be too clean or with all the correct symbols. It just serves me as a reminder of the circuit I have made and tested so its easier to replicate later.

http://postimg.org/image/8d8thok7z/
  • Just saw a ground connection between the isolated sides, so just use it as a guidance ;)
  • Hi,

Simple question, can i use a Pi-face (http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1682890.pdf) instead an arduino if i want only probe (temp, pH, Ec, RH) and control light/ventilation ??

Thanks
  • The Arduino does the 'thinking', and the sketch is setup that way, so you'd have to modify the Raspberry Pi script to do some thinking as well - this might not be the most reliable solution in-case of power bumps, etc.  But yes, I suppose you could - anything's possible.  ;)  Happy hacking!
  • Hi Yieldbuddy,
    I was thinking of designing a similar system, you can have a look at an expansion board i have designed for the raspberry pi already www.pic-pi.com i was thinking of designing some custom hardware to add to the raspberry pi instead of using an arduino and bread boarding stuff making the solution more accessible to more people rather than just the people who are able to follow your instructable maybe you would be interested in a collaboration, let me know thanks 

• Can the Arduino Due be used instead of the Mega?  Since it uses 3.3v logic rather than 5v logic you could forget the logic converter...